“95% of breastfeeding moms use a pump” – Mamava 2019 Survey
The stat says it all. There’s a reason most moms pump breast milk.
Modern moms like you who work outside don’t get enough time for nursing. But your baby needs the milk, right??
Pumping can increase your milk supply and give you more freedom to spend time on work and other stuff. It’s also great for relieving pain from engorgement.
We reviewed some of the best breast pumps for working moms exclusively. These pumps are portable, powerful, and have many different settings for easy pumping.
Here you go!!
IN A HURRY? HERE’S OUR TOP PICKS…
7 Best Breast Pump For Working Moms 2022
- Natural Nursing Technology: Our Spectra S1 electric breast pump features technology that allows comfortable suction levels that mimic the experience of natural breastfeeding as closely as possible
- Perfect for Travel: The Spectra S1 is portable and rechargeable, making it ideal for an on-the-go mom, with the back compartment that fits a Spectra bottle
- Single or Double Pumping: Can be used as a single electric breast pump or a double electric breast pump and for best results, authentic Spectra Baby accessories are recommended
- Hygienic: Spectra backflow protector creates a complete physical barrier between your milk and the pump motor, ensuring that your milk is protected while also being easy to clean and maintain
- Made For Moms, By Moms: We`ve committed our lives to providing the best breast pumps, accessories, education, and customer care that we can, supporting every mother with the beauty of parenthood
The Spectra S1 is the best breast pump for working moms! Its customizable setting, portable functions, noise-free operation, and hospital-grade components make it highly convenient for workplaces.
The suction is adjustable, and you also have options for let-down and expression. Having a powerful suction and a closed system, you will get clean milk every time. The best part is that the device remembers your last setting, which saves time.
It has a rechargeable battery that provides 3 hours of pumping and a plug-in option. This makes it portable and enables pumping on the go! You can also get the Spectra 2, which has an only plug-in feature if you want to save some bucks.
The pump has some extra features like a nightlight and timer. The nightlight is helpful when pumping in the dark or low light. And the timer has a 30 minutes shutoff mechanism.
Its super quiet operation will let you pump in your office without any attention. As a bonus, there are two bottles and two shields.
Keep in mind you can use it as a single or double breast pump! That’s why it’s worth buying!
- Great battery life on the internal rechargeable battery. You will get at least four to five 15-20 minute pumping sessions out of it.
- Adjustable suction with letdown and expression mode control.
- Unlike other models, it doesn’t start in letdown mode. When you’re ready, you have to manually press a button for that.
- Maintains hygiene through closed system.
- Timer for shutting off automatically.
- Has lots of (total 16) annoying parts to wash.
- SILENT: Revolutionary technology eliminates noise so that you can pump in peace - anytime, anywhere. It’s in stealth mode so that you don’t have to be.
- WEARABLE: Small and lightweight, Elvie Pump is worn inside a standard nursing bra, making it truly hands-free. Nothing to tie you down or slow you down.
- HASSLE-FREE: From setup to clean up, using Elvie Pump is simple - it has just 5 parts to clean and takes seconds to assemble. No cords, no wardrobe changes, no fuss.
- SMART: Connect to the free Elvie Pump app to monitor milk volume in real time, track pumping history for each breast and control the pump remotely.
- RESPONSIVE: Elvie Pump automatically switches from Stimulation into Expression mode when it detects let-down and will pause when the bottle is full. One less thing you need to think about.
If you ever wanted to pump most discreetly, we couldn’t find a better breast pump than the Elvie. It’s a high-tech wireless pumping device that you can wear inside your bra, and nobody at work will notice you!
The device is extremely portable, lightweight, and can be recharged. Just get the shield around the nipple, cover it with your bra and monitor everything from your smartphone app. Apart from the noise of milk dripping, you will hardly hear anything more.
The app enables you to control the intensity of stimulation and expression both. Additionally, you can also know how much milk you have pumped. Not accurate, but certainly helpful.
With the two breast pump hubs, you get two bottles, two sizes of breast shields (24&28mm), and other stuff. The bottles can hold up to 5 oz of milk.
If you manage not to bend or lay down with the device, it will stay in place and give you a lot of freedom to work!
- Hands-free pumping.
- Decent battery life (You can pump at least four 20 minutes sessions).
- Closed system keeps milk clean.
- Easy to assemble and wash (there are only a few parts to wash)
- Ultra quiet and easy to use.
- Monitor milk volume and adjust setting wirelessly.
- The Bluetooth connection might lag sometimes.
- 🎄 Come with 2 pcs of milk bag adapters and 10 pcs of storage bag,moms can express to the milk storage bags directly by the adapters.BPA and Phthalates Free
- 🎄 Closed System,4 modes and 9 levels of suction for choice,massage and stimulate breasts before pumping,comfortable and pain free.
- 🎄 High Definition Screen,display the working mode,suction level,time and battery status clearly
- 🎄 Sensitive touch panel,click by one finger to operate,easy and convenient.
- 🎄 Lightweight and portable,2200mAh Li-ion battery built-in,good for travel and on the go.
The Bellababy double electric breast pump is all you need if you want to pump milk faster and better. It’s the ultimate budget-friendly pump that provides everything you will get from other premium versions.
The suction is very strong with nine levels of power. On top of that, the touch display allows you to control and monitor everything. There’s a memory mode that remembers your last setting.
The overall experience is smooth and easy. You will have 2 hours of pumping time on a single charge, and the closed system makes everything hygienic. Cleaning is not difficult but not so easy either. There are lots of parts that you need to disassemble.
As for extras, you get seven storage bags and two storage adapters. You will have to buy the bottles separately if you intend to use them.
The device is not overly quiet. But it’s not the loudest! The ability to pump lots of milk in less time makes up for that.
- Anti-backflow design eliminates spillage.
- Great battery life.
- Incredible suction power and lots of suction levels and modes.
- HD screen helps to monitor setting.
- Pumps directly to the milk storage bags.
- On a high suction level, the pump gets LOUD!
- HOSPITAL PERFORMANCE: New MaxFlow technology inspired by our symphony hospital grade multi-user breast pump - in a highly effective yet easy to use closed system pump
- EASY TO USE: Ultra-efficient with few parts to clean and assemble; advanced motor generates vacuum with Max flow micro-vibrations for effective breast milk expression
- COMFORTABLE PUMPING FOR MORE MILK: Clinically proven to increase milk volume by 11.8%*; includes 2 sizes of PersonalFit Flex breast shields with soft rim and oval shape for more comfort and better fit
- ON THE GO PORTABILITY: Double electric breast pump designed for moms who pump several times per day; comes with everything needed to pump at home or away, including cooler bag, stylish pump bag, and convenient battery pack for mobile pumping
- SIMPLE CONTROLS: Combined speed and vacuum settings are preprogrammed based on Medela extensive research in breastfeeding and pumping; 2 phase expression technology mimics baby's natural sucking rhythms
The Medela Pump Instyle is a trusted breast pump in the mom community. Even if you have never used a pump before, you might have heard about it. It’s a double electric breast pump that will serve you multiple times throughout the day.
The settings are customizable with full control on letdown and expression. The suction is pretty powerful and can produce a lot of milk in a short time.
The whole unit is portable and comes in a nice microfiber bag. You can either use a plug-in option or the rechargeable batteries. Medela provides a cooler bag and ice pack to keep the milk fresh as a bonus. So, when you return from work, you can feed your baby.
It’s a very basic pump with no bells and whistles but will get your job done! The only real issue is the loud sound and hard-to-clean components. If you love Medela, you won’t bother much about those.
- Adjustable speed and vacuum.
- Comes packed in a microfiber bag for carrying.
- Pumps generous amount of milk.
- Extra stuff included to keep milk at proper temperature.
- Littlebit heavy to carry around.
- DESIGNED FOR MOMS ON THE GO: All in one mobile and portable pumping solution, small enough to take with you anywhere. Designed for your active lifestyle, fits into your pocket, purse or baby bag for easy access and portability
- DOUBLE ELECTRIC BREAST PUMP: Designed for daily use for moms who pump several times a day, thanks to its patented, research based 2-Phase Expression Technology which produces more milk in less time* for more efficient expression and maximum flow
- RELIABLE CLOSED SYSTEM: Closed system design with Overflow Protection at the kit prevents your breast milk from entering tubing; easy to clean connectors
- PORTABLE AND LIGHTWEIGHT: Compact, easy to hold, and weighs less than 1 pound, the Freestyle Flex has a modern design and an easy to use digital display and back lighting, best of all it fits right in the palm of your hand
- RECHARGEABLE BATTERY: Rechargeable lithium ion battery, USB charging cable and Bluetooth connectivity to the Medela Family app provides convenient pump operation; battery lasts up to 2 hours, making it easy to be out and about
The Medela Freestyle is an upgraded version of the Medela Instyle. The difference is it’s smaller and more lightweight (1lb), making it perfect for pumping on the go or in workplaces.
You will love the digital display that shows the suction levels. You can adjust the speed and vacuum with just a tap of the buttons. The memory function is great to go back to your favorite setting.
One of the best things about this breast pump is that it’s extremely easy to use and the closed system makes pumping hygienic. For women who need to pump a lot of milk in a short time, this is a great option as it has double pumping capabilities!
The device has rechargeable batteries that can support up to 3 hours. That’s enough for five sessions, at least! You also get a tote bag, cooler bag, two breast shields, and a lot more!
- Easy to operate with buttons and digital display.
- Lots of extra accessories.
- Lightweight and small size.
- Adjustable speed and vacuum.
- Rhythmic sucking pattern.
- Suction parts might sometimes need manual fix to make them work.
- 🎄【HOSPITAL GRADE SUCTIONS & 6 MODES 150 LEVELS】IKARE's design philosophy is : Breast pump must be safe, comfort, powerful suction and ease of use. BP-16 is IKARE's latest innovation in hospital-grade electric double pumps. 5 Preset Modes and each has 6 suctions for choice. And IKARE freestyle mode with 6 levels of suctions and 20 levels of cycles for the most comfortable setting. BP-16 is one of the breast pumps with the most suction models on the market.
- 🎄【EASE OF USE & HYGIENIC IS NO.1】The BP-16 Double Electric offers a touch HD display screen with a sensitive touch panel. This screen has all the information a lactating individual could hope for, as well as a convenient one-touch option for controlling the pump. A closed system breast pump, the BP-16 is one that includes a barrier to prevent overflow milk from leaking into the pump system. This helps to keep the whole system hygienic.
- 🎄【RECHARGEABLE & PORTABLE& ULTRA - QUIET 】 Built-in rechargeable battery for convenient pumping anywhere you are. BP-16 is lightweight and portable. Carry with a bag, this pump is ready to be taken on the go! The iKARE pump in style was designed to optimize suction and pumping efficiency, so speedy pumping sessions are frequently noted when using it. The noise of Ikare breast pump working is below 35db,it is convenient for Moms to use at night.
- 🎄【BEST BUDGET BREAST PUMP 】 Come with 21/24/27mm flange sizes. Removable cooler bag with a contoured ice pack, holds 2 breast milk bottles and ice pack to keep breast milk bottles cool, everything you need for on-the-go pumping. This is a very price-effective hospital-grade pump.
- 🎄【IDEAL CHOICE FOR MOM 】We proudly stand behind our product and offer the most comprehensive warranty on every IKARE breast pump. Our goal is to provide high-quality breastfeeding products that make electric breast pump breastfeeding comfortable and allow you to care for your infant with the right balance of nutrients found in breast milk. Our mission is to help you get the pump that suits you and your child best so they will grow into a healthy and strong toddler.
IKARE is one of the most compact yet powerful breast pumps designed for working moms! It’s super silent and makes only 35 dB noise, which helps you pump milk discreetly wherever you go.
Every setting is customizable to your needs. You get six suction levels for all three modes, including massage, stimulation, and expression. With 20 levels of cycles in such a price range, you really can’t complain.
It’s a closed system pump that keeps the milk and the pumping components separate. The ability to double pump makes it even more appealing for working women.
On every recharge, you will get 2 hours of working time. You can also use the plug-in option when needed.
The best part is everything comes in a portable microfiber bag. You also get a cooler bag, ice pack, and three sizes of breast shields (21, 24, 27mm).
- Made from BPA-free and safe components.
- Digital screen to monitor pumping.
- Timer and memory option for easy operation.
- Portable and compact.
- Customizable pumping.
- Can take you a bit long to figure out how the settings work.
- Quiet Efficient Pump with a comfortable pumping position due to unique no lean forward design
- Choose from 3 expression settings (low, medium, high) after starting in the gentle stimulation mode
- Soft, warm stimulation massage cushion now has a soft, warm texture intended to help stimulate breast milk flow
- Includes a 25mm cushion and a 19.5mm is available for purchase separately
The Philips Avent is a popular pump in the breastfeeding mom community. It doesn’t have a rechargeable battery, but the design and functionality can still help you to pump successfully at work.
There are three suction levels, and you can’t adjust the speed and suction. If you use it, always keep it in the middle setting. That’s the sweet spot.
The device is quite large, but it’s not as heavy as it looks. We loved the firm suck on this, and that’s the reason you can pump more milk with it.
If your work requires you to spend most of your time on the desk, this device will suit you best. Just keep the pump on the desk, plug in the cable, and you won’t have to lean even. The bendable silicone tubes make pumping at the desk far easier.
- Fewer components make assembling easy.
- Easy to attach power cushions.
- The silicone cushions give comfortable feel on the breasts.
- The sucking power is not so great.
Things to Consider When Selecting a Breast Pump to Use at Work
1. Electric or manual pump?
The first thing to consider for a working mom is whether you should get an electric or manual pump.
It’s very straightforward€” get an all-electric breast pump without any hesitations. Electric pumps are fast and give you hassle-free pumping.
Manual pumps cost less but won’t suit your needs at the workplace.
2. Single pump vs. double pump?
If price isn’t a big issue for you, go for double-electric breast pumps. This is helpful when you have to pump a lot of milk and have limited time in hand.
Single pumps work on one breast at a time. For budget moms, this is a good option.
3. Closed system or open system pump
If hygiene is your top priority, you can use a closed system pump. They are usually known as hospital-grade breast pumps. The milk and pump are separated here, so you get clean milk. The downside is the price is high.
For most home and office users, open system pumps will work just as well. You need to keep the tubes and bottles clean. The low price tag makes them very affordable.
4. Easy to operate and clean
Extracting milk with the pump should be pain-free and straightforward. If the pump requires lots of steps to get started, avoid it.
The cleaning part is also crucial. The pump you buy should have parts that come off easily. This will make cleaning easier. Avoid pumps with extremely tight-fitting parts.
5. Pump strength and mechanism
When breastfeeding at work, most moms find that the pump strength and speed become crucial. Look for a powerful one!
But don’t just stop there. You should also control the volume of milk and the frequency of pumping. Some breast pump models allow you to control both separately, and others have one controller for both.
The portability of a breast pump has different meanings. The following are the factors that make a breast pump portable:
- Hands-free or wearable pump
- Insulated carrying bag
Depending on how you want portability, you can select a breast pump having all of these features or just a few of them.
7. Different accessories
Accessories might not be a mandatory thing! But it gives you more versatility and value from your purchase.
It’s always good to have breast shields of different sizes, a properly insulated pump bag, and a pump-to-feed system. If your breast pump kit has all of them, then buy that one.
8. Level of noise
When using an electric pump, you will always experience some sound levels. In an extremely quiet and restricted workplace, you can find pump models that generate minimal noise.
Conclusion & Editor’s Choice
For working women, a breast pump is a pretty important device. If it stops working, you will suffer. So, you need to be ruthless when deciding!
That brings us to our #1 and the best breast pump for working moms- Spectra Baby S1.
It’s a true hospital-grade pump with a long battery life with adjustable suctions! It’s portable and easy to use. The additional features like timer and nightlight are something unique to this device.
Use it as a single or double pump, whatever suits you. You will never suffer from engorgement again!!
If budget is your real concern, you can also choose between the other pumps, and they will work just fine!