Are you thinking of buying bunk beds for your kids’ or guest room where space is a concern?
But not sure which one to get or if it’s the right one for you?
This review of the best bunk beds for small rooms can help.
On this page, you’ll find a list of the top 9 space-saving bunk beds, along with the buying guide. Also, you’ll discover what features make each bunk bed a top seller under each product listing. So, it’ll help you narrow down your choice of which one to get.
Finally, just pointing out the features of each recommendation won’t help you make the best decision. So, we also share the positives and drawbacks of each bunk bed that you may want to consider.
Read on and discover the best bunk bed for your small room.
IN A HURRY? HERE’S OUR TOP PICKS…
9 Best Bunk Beds for Small Rooms In 2022
This shortlist of the top-rated nine bunk beds is exactly what you’re looking for in your small room. Take a closer look at the reviews below so that you can have a better idea about which ones are worth the money.
1. Storkcraft Caribou Solid Hardwood Bunk Bed
- [Adjustable Size-F/Q/K]-..5" H, with adjustable widths of 54" (Full), 60" (Queen), and 76" (King).Item Dimensions : 41.97"L x 79.13"W x 64.7"H.Maximum weight recommendation:120 pounds
- FULL LENGTH SAFETY RAILS AND LADDER: Complete with full length safety rails on the top bunk, and equipped with a strong and sturdy 5 step ladder for easy access to the top bunk.Wipe all parts with a dampened cloth
- CONVERTS INTO 2 SEPARATE BEDS: The perfect sleepover companion, this convertible bunk bed can easily be transformed into 2 separate twin size beds for maximum versatility
- Please note: Our bunk beds arrive in multiple boxes, which may be delivered in separate shipments.
- Ships in several boxes, may ship separately
Weight Capacity: Per Bed 165 Ibs
Storkcraft Caribou is an elegant bedroom centerpiece perfect for the child’s bedroom. It combines classic design and exceptional quality. This rubberwood bunk bed comes with a few key features that make it unique, functional, and safe for your kids.
The construction of this bunk bed is outstanding, indeed. So you can trust that it’s built to last. Its solid rubberwood and composite construction make it more durable than plywood bunk beds.
Though it’s a space-saving solution for kids’ bedrooms, it offers ultimate versatility. That means you can configure it into two separate twin beds when your kids grow older.
The unique fastening system and full-length guardrails ensure maximum support and safety for your child. What’s more, the 4-step slanted ladder adds excitement to your kid when they climb it to get to the top bed.
Most importantly, it features non-toxic finishes. And it’s compliant with all CPSC and ASTM safety standards. Overall, for the price, it’s an excellent option to buy.
- High-quality solid rubberwood construction.
- Non-toxic finish.
- Versatile design.
- Very functional and safe.
- Easy to assemble.
- Meets ASTM and CPSC safety standards.
- Limited headroom in the bottom bunk.
2. DHP Twin Over Full Bunk Bed
- Bookcase : Low Loft Design: Distressed, neutral finishes with rounded corners and edges create Bookcase look. Flush, color-matched hardware gives a clean finish.Item Dimensions : 56.5"L x 78"W x 61.5"H.Maximum weight recommendation:450 pounds
- Product Dimensions :56.5 x 78.0 x 61.5 inches
- Assembled dimensions – 56.5" W x 61.5" H x 78" L; Assembled weight – 84.5 lbs.; Max weight limit (Upper bunk) – 200 lbs.; Max weight limit (Lower bunk) – 450 lbs.; Slats distance – 2.5”; Min. ceiling height – 7'.Sturdy metal frame with steel construction
- This modern, stylish bunk bed features a Twin top bunk over a Full bottom and looks great in any bedroom or guest room arrangement
- 2 integrated side ladders come included to provide versatility and metal slats on the top and bottom beds offer the right amount of support, comfort, and durability
Weight Capacity: Top Bed- 200 Ibs, Bottom Bed 450 Ibs
Next, we have this budget-friendly best bunk for a small room from the market leader DHP. DHP is a #1 brand for making functional and unique furniture for those who don’t know. This DHP bunk bed is incredibly popular for its modern look, sleek design, and affordable price.
The space-saving design and twin-over-full configuration look great in any guest room or kids’ bedroom. Additionally, it increases the day’s fun time in the bedroom and delivers a comfortable sleep surface at night.
What’s great about this twin-over-full bunk bed is the full-length guardrails all around and integrated side ladders. It includes two sturdy ladders on either side that provide versatility. As you would expect, the bottom bunk offers an impressive 450 pounds weight capacity while the top bunk supports up to 200 pounds.
Of course, it boasts durable steel frame construction and metal slats on top and bottom beds. That means it’s very durable and should last for a long time.
All in all, for the design, comfort, and safety level, this bunk bed is still highly recommended, particularly for an affordable price.
- Elegant and functional design.
- Durable steel frame.
- Impressive weight capacity.
- Ladder on both sides.
- All around guardrails.
- Safe to use.
- Easy to assemble.
- The ladder is made of skinny bars that can hurt the feet of older occupants.
3. Dorel Living Brady Solid Wood Bunk Beds
- Top bunk is designed for children ranging from 6 years of age to young teenagers
- Made of wood
- Country of Origin: China
- Model number: DA6940BL
Weight Capacity: Top Bed- 165 Ibs, Bottom Bed- 250 Ibs
If you’re looking for a solid wood bunk bed at a reasonable price, then this one from Dorel Living can be a good option for you.
This Twin over Full bunk bed design adds style to your children’s bedroom. What’s more, the ultra-fine paneling and clean lines make it unique. This practical design ensures a safe and fun area for your children.
The horizontal slat guard rail provides calm and safe sleeping space for your children. Also, the integrated 4-step angled ladder offers easy access and adventure to your kids while reaching the top bunk.
The Brady bunk bed is also incredibly versatile. The convertible design lets you convert the stacked bed into two free-standing beds (1 full and 1 twin). Thanks to the support slats of both beds that eliminate the need for a box spring.
When it comes to construction, this bunk bed features solid wood construction. The wooden design certainly gives this bunk bed a better look than steel construction.
This model comes with an eye-catching graphite color. Of course, multiple color options are also available.
Overall, Dorel Living Brady Solid Wood Bunk Bed is a reliable, space-saving, versatile option that will last for a long time. And it should be a good investment. The price is reasonable for a twin over full bunk bed.
- Practical design.
- Solid wood construction.
- Perfect space saver.
- Convertible to two stand-alone beds.
- Easy to put together.
- Multiple color options available.
- Some users noticed a small crack in the wood after a few months of use.
4. Dorel Living Sierra Triple Floor Bunk Bed
- Bunk Bed dimensions (assembled) – 79.25" W x 77.13" H x 43.5" D | Assembled weight – 105.8 lbs. | Max weight limit (each bunk bed) – 225 lbs.
- Solid wood construction with a black finish
- Easy and quick assembly, all required tools to convert come in the package
- Ladder can only be installed in one end | Floor bunk bed design optimizes space
- Use only mattresses with approximate 75” L x 35.5” W & with a thickness that does not exceed 6” | Surface of mattress must be at least 5” below the upper edge of guardrails
Weight Capacity: Per Bed 165 Ibs
Looking for highly customizable, cool bunk beds for small rooms?
Then, one fantastic option is the popular Sierra Triple Bunk Bed from Dorel Living.
Including three sleeping surfaces, this transitional design bunk bed is the ultimate space-saver for your large family. It’s the perfect antidote for sleeping several people in smaller spaces. Of course, each bed offers enough space for easy and safe access in and out.
Ultimately, there’s a great deal of customizability available with this bunk bed. Its multiple configurations let you set it up into three separate beds.
Sierra triple bunk bed is sturdy enough to keep your little ones comfortable and safe. The solid, sturdy construction adds both functionality and durability. It provides 165 pounds of weight capacity per bed. In addition, the design comes with two built-in ladders for safe climbing to the upper bunks.
In short, this Sierra bunk bed is a fantastic option for extended family. It’ll give more space for all your kids, siblings, and guests. A good, reasonably priced bunk bed compared to others of its class.
- Ample sleeping space for multiple occupants.
- Timeless style.
- Highly customizable design.
- Easily convertible.
- Well-built and durable.
- No box spring necessary.
- The support slats are too few with too wide of gaps.
5. Max & Lily Solid Wood Twin Low Bunk Bed
- Included Components: Assembly Instructions.Item Dimensions : 81.5"L x 84.5"W x 50"H.Maximum weight recommendation:800 pounds
- Bunk Bed dimensions – 84.5" W x 50" H x 81.5" L | Under top bed – 33.2” | Max weight limit (per bed) – 400 lbs. | Fits standard Twin mattresses
- Supportive lower mattress slats sit 2” off the ground providing air circulation
- Slide and ladder are both reversible & removable (can be installed on left or right-hand side)
- Made from Solid, New Zealand Pine wood construction | Durable, non-toxic, low VOC finish | Item cannot be painted unless heavily sanded
Weight Capacity: Per Bed 400 Ibs
Does your kid’s bunk bed add extra fun to their playing time? If you’re looking for something like that, then Max & Lily Bunk Bed is the right option for you.
Firstly, the slide that comes with this bunk bed is a bonus for enhancing your kids’ ultimate fun time. What’s more, you can add coordinating Play curtains (sold separately).
Most importantly, the bed is constructed with the safety of your child in mind. It offers an impressive 400 pounds weight capacity per bed.
The bottom bunk sits only two inches off the ground, making it a safe sleeping area for smaller children. Additionally, the 14-inch tall guardrails come with it for increased safety.
Moreover, the angled ladder features rounded-edged for comfortable and easy climbing. The best aspect is its removable and reversible ladder that you can install on the right or left-hand side.
To conclude, this solid wood twin bunk bed combines both quality and style. Overall, it’s an excellent low-bunk bed for a great value.
- Solid New Zealand pine wood construction.
- High weight capacity.
- Slide for extra fun.
- Water-based, low VOC finish.
- Space-saving footprint.
- Color-coordinated hardware.
- The head clearance on the bottom bunk is a little bit short, so older children and adults can hardly get in and sit up comfortably.
6. Max & Lily Solid Wood Twin over Full Bunk Bed with Trundle Bed
- Solid New Zealand Pine wood bed frame | Durable, non-toxic, low VOC finish | Mattresses are not included
- Product overall dimensions – 81.5” L x 57” W x 65” H | Twin upper bunk – 80" L x 40" W x 36" H | Full middle bunk – 82" L x 60" W x 69" H | Trundle lower bunk – 74.5" L x 40.7" W x 11.7" H | Distance between slats – 8.75” | Weight limit (each) – 400 lbs.
- Metal on metal structural connections won't loosen over time | Bunks can easily be separated into 2 free-standing beds
- Reversible ladder with rounded edges and grooved treads for comfortable, easy climbing | Hand-hole detail adds safety & style | Tall 14 in. guardrails safely fit standard mattress sizes
- Top bunk accommodates a standard twin size mattress, not over 8" thickness | Full-size bed accommodates a standard full size mattress | Recommended size mattress for the trundle – 72.5” L x 38.5” W x 8” H
Weight Capacity: Per Bed 400 Ibs
Here is another best bunk bed for a small room from Maxwood Furniture. This time it’s Max & Lily solid wood twin over full bunk with trundle bed.
The space-saving design of this twin-over-full bunk bed is perfect for smaller rooms. Of course, you can convert these bunks into two stand-alone twin beds.
One great feature is its twin-size trundle that provides additional bed space for a sleepover. The trundle features cut-out handles to roll it on casters easily.
There is a reversible ladder with grooved treads and rounded edges that ensures easy climbing and offers the highest level of safety. Additionally, the hand-hole details on the ladder rails add style and safety.
When it comes to construction, this Max and Lily bunk bed is made of a solid New Zealand pine wood frame that makes it durable. Additionally, there are metal support bars for additional reinforcement.
- Solid New Zealand Pine wood bed frame.
- 400-pound weight capacity per bed.
- Flexible design.
- Non-toxic, low VOC finish.
- Excellent weight capacity.
- Meets or exceeds federal safety standards.
- The trundle bed wheels are not Lockable.
7. Walker Edison Furniture Solid Wood Twin Bunk Bed
- Dimensions: 64.625” H x 42” D x 79” L, Twin beds support up to 200 Ibs. each
- Made from responsibly-sourced solid pine wood
- No box spring required, Bunkie board recommended; 5”- 9” mattress thickness recommended
- Integrated guardrails and ladder included
- Use as a bunk bed or unstack to display two twin beds side-by-side
Weight Capacity: Per Bed 250 Ibs
This Twin Bunk Bed from Walker Edison Furniture is designed to grow with your kids. It sounds like a fantasy, right?
This space-saving design is a great solution where space is a concern. However, for convenience, you can split the bunk bed apart when your kids’ age out of their friendly bunking situations. Note that each bed supports a maximum of 250 pounds weight.
The full-length guardrails and wooden support slats ensure comfortable and safe sleeping time on the bunks. Additionally, the integrated ladder offers your kids adventurous feelings when climbing up to the top bed.
It’s worth noting that the ladder tightly clings to the frame for safe climbing. Finally, you can add a trundle bed to save on space while providing an additional sleeping area for your kids or overnight guest.
In summary, this Walker Edison furniture twin bunk bed is a sturdy, functional, and exceptionally stylish option that works best with small space living. It’s the bunk bed you never want to miss.
- Solid wood strong construction.
- Easy to switch to bunk beds or single.
- Super durable.
- Reasonably priced.
- Too few slates to support the bed.
8. Max & Finn Bunk Bed
- Transitional twin size bunk bed made with a solid wood construction.
- Easily converts into two separate twin size beds. Each bed is designed to accommodate a standard twin size mattress (sold separately). Bed slats included and no box spring required.
- Small space living approved. Promises optimal support and durability with sturdy integrated ladder and slats.
- Assembly required, hardware included. 1-year limited warranty. Meets US Safety Standards.
- Assembled dimensions: 79.25” W x 43.5” D x 47.5” H. Weight limit: 165lbs/bed.
This Max & Finn bunk bed provides your children the comfort and safety they deserve. This compact bunk bed is perfect for small space living that takes up minimal space and provides a sleeping surface for two.
Due to its low floor design, your kids can easily climb into each bunk with ease. Of course, there is a 3-steps ladder for easy accessibility to the top bunk. The bottom bunk sits on the ground, making it easy to access your smaller children.
Stylish and sturdy, this low-profile small bunk bed is made of solid wood in a white finish. It’ll be sure to please anyone. You can also convert the bunk into two free-standing twin beds. And, each bed offers 165 pounds of weight capacity.
Above all, it’s a perfect space-saving children’s bunk bed for small rooms.
- Solid wood construction.
- Transitional design.
- Convertible into two separate twin beds.
- Easy to follow assembly instruction.
- Somewhat tricky to line up screw with screw insert.
9. ACME Limbra Twin XL/Queen Bunk Bed
- Featuring sturdy metal construction in black sand finish, metal slat system included, two build-in side ladders and full-length guardrails that will keep your child safe
- Upgraded with two center legs, more sturdy for not only children’s bedroom but also adults’ guest room
- Product overall dimensions – 82.5” L x 63” W x 64” H | Full mattress required – 54” W x 75” L | Queen mattress required – 80” x 60” | Guardrail height – 15” | Clearance between rails – 40” H
- Assembled weight – 107 lbs. | Max weight limit (top bunk) – 175 lbs. | Max weight limit (bottom bunk) – 350 lbs. | Slats distance – 2.5” | Min. ceiling height – 7.2' | Mattress thickness recommended - Top-up to 8” | Bottom-up to 12”
- Packed in 2 boxes - 2 boxes are coming to avoid damage due to overweight
Weight Capacity: Top Bed- 175 Ibs, Bottom Bed- 350 Ibs
ACME Limbra is a contemporary-style metal bunk with a black sand finish. For its compact and narrow footprint, this Twin XL over Queen bunk bed is necessary for any children’s bedroom.
The strong and durable metal construction provides the necessary stability to support up to 175 pounds on the top bunk and 350 pounds on the bottom bunk. The metal slats also ensure more safety and durability.
Additionally, the full-length standard guardrails will keep your child safe on the top bunk. Of course, there are two integrated build-in side ladders; one on each end offers easy accessibility.
- Sturdy metal structure
- Exclusive black sand finish
- Simple to assemble
- Fits an XL Twin mattress on the top bunk
- Mild Squeaky.
How to Choose the Best Bunk Beds For Small Rooms
No matter which space-saving bunk beds you want to buy for small rooms, there are always a few factors you need to consider before you part with your money.
- Durability- Choose strong materials
You should buy a bunk bed that is built to last. So, this will mean selecting a design that benefits from solid construction. A well-built bunk will enhance the safety offered to your children and improve comfort.
- Room and Bunk Bed Height
Take into consideration the height of your children’s room and that of the bunk bed. Make sure that your younger children can comfortably sit up straight on the top bunk without hitting their heads with the ceiling.
- Safety Precautions
Safety is the most crucial factor while choosing bunk beds for children. There is no way to ignore a single security issue.
Firstly, a sturdy guardrail on the top bunk is a must-have. It’ll help to prevent the child from falling to the ground.
Secondly, check out how easy the ladder is to climb. Some bunks come with built-in ladders, while others feature detachable ladders.
Finally, seriously consider the weight capacity of each bunk if teenagers or adults share the bed.
- Decide on the type of bunk beds
Bunk beds come in different styles, such as twin over twin, twin over full, and full over full. Your buying process will be simpler if you decide on what bunk bed type will best suit your needs.
- Versatility- Stacked Or Stand-Alone Beds
If you plan to reconstruct your children’s bedroom when they outgrow, it’s wise to choose a bunk bed that offers a convertible design. Initially, you can set it up as a stacked bed for your little ones and then split it down into free-standing beds once your kids grow and move into their rooms.
Conclusion & Editor Choice
We’re almost at the end of our best bunk bed for small spaces reviews.
Along with each recommendation, we’ve tried our best to highlight the stand-out features so that you know what makes each particular bunk bed valuable.
I hope those brief details are all you need to make the right decision. But still, you want to know the editor’s choice. Right?
Well, our review identified the Storkcraft Caribou Solid Hardwood Bunk Bed is the top pick. Let me explain WHY.
This model has everything you want in a bunk bed: style, durability, and of course, safety.
Firstly, the rubberwood and composite construction make it environ-friendly. What’s more, this construction is more durable than pine wood.
Secondly, it offers versatility. If your kids get tired of sharing the same room or sharing the bunk, you can split it into two stand-alone twin beds. The slanted, four-step ladder is another excellent aspect of this product.
Finally, it is ASTM compliant, which means you can safely use it for your little ones.
So, have you already chosen the best bunk beds for small spaces?
You should have!
Best Outdoor Playhouse For Toddler & Kids